The pharmaceutical industry develops, designs, manufactures, and markets thousands of different drugs for use as medication. These drugs may or may not be approved for use to help certain illnesses and injuries. Numerous laws, however, are enacted to promote the safe design, manufacturing, and marketing of drugs. Despite these laws to protect consumers, pharmaceutical companies (whether knowingly or unknowingly) often do not take adequate protections to design or market their drugs. When this happens, consumers are placed at significant risk from defective or dangerous drugs.
Pharmaceutical litigation involves consumers bringing lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies for injuries suffered as a result of dangerous or defective drugs. Types of pharmaceutical lawsuits include unethical marketing practices, drug safety issues, off-label promotion, and adulterated drugs. Pharmaceutical litigation cases can be prosecuted under a variety of different legal theories, including strict liability, negligence, misrepresentation, fraud, breach of warranty, or failure to warn. It is important to reach out to an experienced pharmaceutical litigation attorney who can help you investigate your case and advise you regarding your legal rights. The experienced attorneys at the Anastopoulo Law Firm can help you initiate a lawsuit in order to recover compensation for any injuries you may have suffered.
Damages in Pharmaceutical Lawsuits
If a consumer is injured by a defective or dangerous drug, there are a variety of types of injuries that the consumer can recover, including:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional pain and suffering, including depression, loss of sleep, and anxiety
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages or loss of earning capacity
- In situations where the victim dies, the family may be able to recover for loss of companionship
Examples of Pharmaceutical Litigation Cases
Over the past decade, the number of pharmaceutical lawsuits has been on the rise. Some of the country’s largest drug makers have been implicated in these lawsuits and have paid out billions of dollars to the government and to consumers in class-action lawsuits. Recent pharmaceutical claims have involved:
- Merck and wrongful deaths of patients from heart attacks and strokes connected who had been taking the painkiller Vioxx.
- GlaxoSmithKline and birth-defects connected with pregnant mothers who had been taking Paxil, an antidepressant drug.
- Allergan and the company’s off-label promotion of Botox for uses such as headache pain and cerebral palsy.
- GlaxoSmithKline and heart attacks and strokes in patients who had been taking its diabetes drug Avandia.
Contact an Experienced Pharmaceutical Litigation Attorney for Legal Assistance
If you have suffered an injury from a defective drug, a pharmaceutical litigation attorney at Anastopoulo Law Firm can help you with your case. Our pharmaceutical litigation attorneys are equipped to handle all types of claims, and we will fight to make sure that you recover the compensation you deserve. Call Anastopoulo Law Firm at 1-(800)313-AKIM(2546) today to find out how our attorneys can help.